This Oakland attraction proves that learning can be fun. The Chabot Space & Science Center is a fun and interesting place for visitors seeking a unique & educational experience in Oakland, California. From its state-of-the-art facilities and interactive exhibits to its breathtaking planetarium shows, Chabot has something for everyone. A trip to the San Francisco Bay Area can be filled with a lot of eating, wine tasting and bar hopping, so why not mix it up with a little something different.
So what is the Chabot Space and Science Center? It is basically a science museum that offers a variety of interactive exhibits and programs for visitors of all ages, showcasing the wonders of space, science, and technology. There are a lot of cool things to discover here, so make sure to block out at least a few hours so you can see it all.
Best features of the Chabot Space and Science Center
The square is located at the foot of Broadway, near the intersection of Broadway and Embarcadero. Visitors can reach Jack London Square by car, ferry, or by taking public transportation, including BART (get off at 12th Street or Lake Merritt). There is also a large parking garage located near the square.
- Planetarium shows – Visitors can take a journey through the universe in the center’s state-of-the-art planetarium, which offers immersive and educational shows that highlight the latest in space and astronomical research.
- Space Telescope exhibits – The center features a number of exhibits that showcase the history and technology of space telescopes, including a replica of the Hubble Space Telescope and interactive displays that demonstrate how telescopes work.
- Live demonstrations – The center offers a range of live demonstrations and presentations that showcase different aspects of space and science, including laser light shows, science experiments, and demonstrations of the latest in technological advancements.
- Interactive exhibits – The center is home to a variety of interactive exhibits that allow visitors to explore the science of space and astronomy in a hands-on and engaging way.
- Night sky observation – Chabot Space and Science Center features a number of telescopes for night sky observation, including a historic 36-inch reflector telescope that was built in 1883. You should definitely check this out if you visit.
Interesting facts about Chabot Space & Science Center
- The center was established in 1883 by Anthony Chabot and is one of the oldest continuously operating public observatories in the United States.
- The center’s historic 36-inch reflector telescope is one of the largest refracting telescopes in the Western Hemisphere.
- The center is a popular destination for school field trips, with a variety of educational programs and resources available for teachers and students.
- The center is part of the East Bay Regional Park District, which is dedicated to preserving and protecting the natural resources of the region.
- It is located in Redwood Regional Park in Oakland, so you can hike around the property and see some massive Redwood Trees. This is a great option if you aren’t able to make it to Muir Woods.
More Attractions in San Francisco
Planning an event? Add it to the list